COUNTY CHRONICLES, A VIVID COLLECTION OF PENNSYLVANIA HISTORIES: VOLUME I, SECOND EDITION. 2010 by Ceane O'Hanlon-Lincoln.
If you haven't yet read a chapter of the award-winning COUNTY CHRONICLES series, you haven't discovered how much fun reading history can be. Each
volume of County Chronicles embraces a collection of short stories--true stories from Pennsylvania's thrilling past! The Keystone of the
birth of our nation, Pennsylvania has much to relate to each and every
American. Each Chronicle/chapter is meticulously researched, each
self-contained and short enough to read in one sitting. The author uses no
chronological order so that each volume's stories are varied.
always believed that history books and historical novels would make a fine
marriage, and this is, in essence, how she wrote County Chronicles. Everyone loves a good story well-told; these Chronicles will not disappoint! The author is a master storyteller, who captures the reader's interest from the first
page and holds it till the final page-turn. Ceane O'Hanlon-Lincoln
breathes life into historical figures and events with language that captivates
all the senses. Her readers don't just read about the history within
County Chronicles' turning pages--they experience them!
Ceane (pronounced "Shawn") explains, "History is a collection of
true stories, the most significant stories that ever unfolded. I
tell history in a story-telling way because that is what history is-- a story;
and If an author relates history the way it really unfolded, it is compelling,
thrilling-- and unforgettable!"
READING LEVEL FOR COUNTY CHRONICLES IS 5TH GRADE THROUGH ADULT.
Letter to Ceane: "What a wonderful writer you
are. I'm truly enjoying your first book Country Chronicles: A
Vivid Collection of Pennsylvania Histories. It's
wonderful to know a fellow Connellsville friend who can tell these
historical moments in such an interesting and easy to read fashion. Your
County Chronicles should be a part of the school required reading throughout
all of Pennsylvania---the birth place of America. I feel very strongly if
children were to read your stories their interest in our Heritage would
blossom. They're so much more interesting than boring History
books." -- Gloria Anderson
SEE "CONTENTS" DESCRIPTION FOR MORE INFORMATION.
This premier volume of the COUNTY CHRONICLES series has thus far garnered three prestigious awards, the Athena Award from the author's hometown of Connellsville, a Citation/Special Recognition Award from the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, and a Congratulatory/Special Recognition Award from the Senate of Pennsylvania. With the sell-out of the limited edition premiere volume, we've introduced a second edition of Volume I due to popular demand. For this more affordable book, sized to be compatible with the other volumes, the author chose her favorite and best chapters, updated and trimmed them. Don't worry about missing anything--98% of the original volume is included; the other 2% is scattered throughout the other four volumes. In this revised volume, readers will: Witness Washington's perilous crossing of the icy Delaware; Experience countless thrills and chills on the Pennsylvania frontier; Follow the Whiskey Boys in their rowdy quest during the Whiskey Rebellion; Descend into the inky, dank pits with the coal miners of a century ago; Travel back in time to discover the origin of the holidays we celebrate; Be an eye-witness to history with two of our greatest Presidents, Washington and Lincoln, to realize their Divine destinies; Take cover and fight alongside the brave Highlanders and their American scouts at the pivotal Battle of Bushy Run during Pontiac's War; Stride through time with native son George C. Marshall to learn why history has christened him the "Great One"; Skip back in time with those who remember the trolleys; Witness the last days of the Civil War with those who fought it; Take a sentimental journey back to the famed Connellsville Canteen during WW II. Also--readers will visit: Several of PA's covered bridges, tunnels to the past, stepping stones of history; Andrew Carnegie's Skibo Castle in the magical mists of the Scottish Highlands; Frontier forts, battlegrounds, museums, and places of interest; not to mention several unsolved mysteries and haunted Pennsylvania sites. And that is only a sampling of what is between the beautiful covers of this vivid collection of some of Pennsylvania's most exciting true stories! 260 pages, 7 x 10 hardcover with beautiful cover artwork by Helen Alt. We invite you to join the myriad of readers who are enjoying COUNTY CHRONICLES. Be sure to check out our website for info on the other four volumes.